We believe that Australia needs more growers and that the best way to learn about farming is by living and working on a farm alongside experienced and skillful mentors.
Allsun Farm Internship
Our internships are a 4 - 6 month learning opportunity for both men and women interested in solar driven, biological, small scale, diverse, vegetable, fruit, egg and chicken production systems. There are no charges, we freely exchange knowledge, food and lodgings for five days working along side us every week.
Want to hear what some of our interns have to say? click here
Why not apply online now?
- We are looking for bright eyed, bushy-tailed, self-starters who are situationally aware. Applicants need to be open to learning, positive, non-complaining, dependable, perseverant and prepared to willingly take responsibility.
Yes, we are very particular.
- You will need to come to the farm for a 2-4 day trial prior to acceptance.
- We offer summer (October - March) and winter (April - September) internships. They are very different experiences but there is a lot that can be learned in both times of the year.
- Work days are Monday - Friday. Saturdays and Sundays are chores only.
- Working hours depend on the maximum daily temperature. On cool days we start work at 8am and finish at 5pm. We break for a sit down lunch in the middle of the day. When daytime temperatures start to increase the starting time can be much earlier and we take a siesta after lunch. Work recommences when the temperature drops in the late afternoon.
- We will provide you with accommodation in a caravan, a fully equipped kitchen and food and drinks, within reason, from the Allsun gardens and larder. You will be expected to cook your own breakfast and evening meal and will have access to a bathroom, toilet and laundry at the farmhouse.
- Quarters do not include phone or Internet, however the farmhouse has high speed wireless in our office/library which you can use in the evenings.
- Expectations: like any experience, you will get out of it what you put into it. We have attainable benchmarks, but they require effort and sweat. Physically, you will be in better shape than you ever thought possible. Emotionally, you will know what you did today, why it was important, and feel great about it.
- There will be a monthly review meeting when all of us will be able to track progress and raise any concerns, views and opinions.
- After the first month you will be paid a stipend of $100 per week to cover incidental expenses.
- You will be coming to Allsun Farm to learn. We invest heavily in the physical, emotional, and mental needs of this opportunity.
- Due to accommodation limitations we can only offer this opportunity to an individual or couple.
- Your own transport is highly adventageous and a drivers license essential (manual preferred).
Allsun Farm Stay
This is a shorter term learning opportunity for both men and women to come and live and work at Allsun Farm without the 2-6 month commitment. The reality is that if you have been living and working here for less than two or three weeks you are actually costing us money. However, if the accommodation is vacant and you are happy to exchange food and board for labour we have limited opportunities for short stay, enthusiastic, hard working, interested individuals. The conditions are similar to above but because this is a short stay arrangement we do not need you to come to the farm for a 2-4 day trial. You will, however, need to talk to us face to face or by telephone.